Hiding in the forest of Kumbatine National Park, near a creek, are some heritage listed lime kilns. The kilns were built by convicts between 1832 and 1840, supplying Port Macquarie and Sydney with lime for the building industry. Limestone was quarried from nearby and loaded into the furnace area, where it was fired for five days. Lime was then scraped out the hole at the bottom, from the front. The lime was transported by boat to Port Macquarie. Working conditions were harsh, with many convict labourers earning their ticket of leave. Rough housing and a cookhouse supported the workers, but little remains. Read more about Pipers Creek Lime Kilns.
This walk visits three kilns, following trails through first Bellangara State Forest then Kumbatine National Park, crossing Smiths Creek. The bridge at Smiths Creek has been destroyed by flood – be amazed at how far floodwater can move concrete!